Ohio Conference staff and many significant volunteers have already been doing projects that ready Templed Hills Camp for service as our only campsite beginning in 2018. We can use many more volunteers who can help make this camp, after several years out of operation, ready to serve the faith formation needs of our churches and members.
Jim Ditzler, who many people in the conference may remember from his significant work with UCC Disaster Ministries, has been serving as director of the Templed Hills Camp Operations Team. Jim has a long history of involvement in the Conference outdoor ministry sites as well, having served as the site manager at Pilgrim Hills.
Ditzler has identified areas of work which can be accomplished by volunteer crews. Here are the possibilities for volunteers from your congregation:
- A carpentry crew to build two new “porches/decks” at Heritage along with handicap ramps. (One experienced carpenter plus a handful of adult helpers, men or women.)
- A licensed electrician to install new electric panel at manager’s house and electric heat in several locations. Work with a current electrician volunteer.
- Skilled drywall installers and finishers. (3-4 adults)
- Low-skill plumbers to work with carpenters for installing sinks and fixtures in Memorial. (5 voluteers)
- Semi-skilled carpenters to install wall panels in lower Skipper bedrooms. (2-3 workers)
- Semi-skilled carpenters to complete work in new maintenance building (2-4 workers)
- An electrician to lead small crews who will install light fixtures (5-6 workers)
- A crew to install vinyl tile and/or carpet tiles.
- Demolishing a small shed.(5-6 workers)
Experienced safety-equipped persons to cut fallen trees and clear underbrush
- A carpentry crew to do repairs to pool building.
- Experience paint crews for inside work.
- Teams to clear “clutter and junk”
- Someone to do online and telephone research for buying furniture (Volunteer can work from home.)
If you’re interested in volunteering with one of these projects, contact Ditzler directly via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (330-464-3318). Discuss the date you can do the work, tell him about the skills of your crew, and arrange for the supplies and tools you will need.
Thanks in advance for all the ways you will prepare Templed Hills for the groups already scheduled for 2018, and for our Ohio Conference UCC summer outdoor ministry season.