Literacy and Education: Projects and Ministries Grant
Deadline: November 30, 2015
Working with the United Church of Christ’s church-wide literacy program, “Reading Changes Lives!”, the Ohio Conference UCC will support and inspire churches to create literacy projects and ministries through the award of grants of up to $5,000. Illiteracy has a wide-ranging societal impact and has been tied to other problems such as adjudication and poverty rates. Here are some key statistics:
• 1 in 5 Americans lack basic reading skills beyond a 4th grade level;
• 32 million adults in the U.S. and 774 million world-wide are unable to read;
• 19% of American high school graduates are functionally illiterate;
• 63% of prison inmates in the U.S. cannot read above a 4th grade level;
• Almost 85% of young people in the juvenile court system are illiterate;
• 37% of children arrive at kindergarten without the pre-literacy skills to succeed at lifetime learning.
Churches can leverage local connections to create and enhance literacy in their local communities to dramatically improve the lives of individuals and transform their communities.
Successful applications will:
• Come from a UCC Church, Authorized Minister or related ministry;
• Demonstrate how the project and ministry proposed will improve the lives of children and adults in our Conference through literacy and educational programs;
• Will stir and inspire all of us to think creatively about our work and future, an innovative approach to literacy programs and ministries;
• Promote the mission and values of the UCC;
• Can be replicated across the Conference and/or UCC;
• Show collaboration with other UCC Churches, faith communities, nonprofits or governmental agencies.
The grant applications will be reviewed by the Ohio Conference Minister and one representative from each Association and evaluated based on the criteria above. Recipients will be notified about the committee’s decision by January 11, 2016.
Please answer the following questions in a brief (1-2 page) response or by submitting an online application by November 30, 2015
• Name of UCC Church, Authorized Minister or related ministry applying for the grant;
• Name of your Literacy and Education Project in Ministry;
• Contact Person (name and contact information);
• Primary geographic focus of your project or ministry.
• Briefly describe your literacy project or ministry. Include who will be involved, who are the primary recipients, and why you believe your project will have a positive impact on literacy in your community;
• Submit a rough budget as to how your grant money will be spent;
• Describe how you might share your significant learnings and the impact your grant has on your local community via your church’s newsletter, website and/or social media as well as through to the Ohio Conference eNews, blog and social media or at an association or conference gathering.
• Name up to three key goals of the ministry and how you will evaluate if/how you’ve met them.